Friday, February 11, 2011

Sick Day - Guilt Over Not Writing

So I spent the entire day at home with some sort of sore throat/general aches and pains-type illness. Accordingly, I got no writing done. (Well, I did fill out and submit a couple more job applications for archivist positions, but...). So now I am full of remorse about not writing.
On the other hand, tomorrow is a new day, and I am pretty well engrossed in a couple of short story outlines. I have been reading some of John D. Swain's short stories and feeling positive about my writing. I have read with skepticism that, in writing a short story, it is always best to start the story as close to the climax as possible. This is an idea I tended to chafe it, but when I looked at several stories I enjoyed with this idea in mind--Swain's "Robbing the Roost" is a good example--I see how that idea works in practice. It has helped me out already with building my outlines. So: more reading tonight, and more outlining tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment