Sunday, July 22, 2012

Photography is My New Hobby

I have taken up photography as a hobby. Because I stay home with my daughter three days a week, I needed some diversion to keep me sane, but also that would let me keep an eye on an active baby. My wife also likes to see new pictures of our baby during the work day. So what started with casual snapshots of "baby sleeping" and "baby picking up a toy" has grown into carrying a camera with me throughout the day.

My wife picked up on my interest and enrolled me in an online photography course for Father's Day. It was a great gift idea. I love seeing how much I have improved as a photographer; already I have reached a point where I manually adjust my aperture and shutter speed for every shot. So long, flash photography!

I am still an amateur--I use a digital point-and-shoot camera, and I have not sold a picture anywhere--but I enjoy it for the act itself. For me, the gulf between casual, unplanned photography and careful shot composition makes for a good challenge. Not that I am an especially artistic photographer yet, but I cannot take a picture without at least thinking about how to angle the shot, whether to over- or under-expose it, and what my depth of field should be. Photography is like writing in that it does not require much skill to begin and to produce some content, but the more effort I put into polishing my work and improving my skills, the more I enjoy what I create.

As yet I do not have much of a plan for photographic series to post online, but I have been adding some of my photos in a public forum. If you are interested, you can follow my Flickr page.


No comments:

Post a Comment